Best Gravel Bikes Under $1000
If a road bike race can be covered over long distances between a start and a finish, cyclo-cross, mountain biking and other disciplines are traditionally confined to a short circuit that competitors cover several times. The first reason is that it is difficult these days to design a long course that will not go by road.
Moreover, while motorcycles and cars can accompany road bikes to provide fueling, technical assistance and media coverage, the same cannot be said for ATVs.
The underlying idea of ”gravel” is to overcome these constraints and to offer long races between a start and a finish but via trails, steep paths and, above all , those long gravel roads which crisscross the United States between fields and which gave their name to the discipline.
Refueling points are provided by the organizers along the route but, between these points, the cyclist will most often be left to himself. Carrying inner tubes, repair equipment and plasters is therefore part of the sport!
The Rise of Gravel
Basically, there is nothing really new. The word “gravel” is never more than a new word attached to a discipline as old as the bicycle itself. But this word “gravel” allowed a rebirth and recognition of the concept.
The success of the on-board videos of cyclists traveling 30km through fields, 10km on asphalt before attacking 500m of muddy hills and crossing a river carrying their bikes help to popularize “gravel”, mainly in the United States where cyclo-cross is also booming.
Gravel Bike Frame and Design
The “gravel bike” is thus equipped with a frame and specific elements, designed to be able to accompany the cyclist on his adventure. The general shape of the frame is for example that of a road bike, and its geometry is endurance type. The head tube is higher too, and it is equipped with a racing type handlebar. The clearance of the frame at the level of the tires is also greater. Most often, tubeless bicycle tires are installed to benefit from better grip.
Best Gravel Bikes Under $1000
Finding the best gravel bike to suit your budget can be tough. To help you out, we are going to share some of the best gravel bikes under $1000.
Giordano Trieste Gravel Bike, 700c Small
The 700c Trieste Gravel Bike is equipped Shimano Claris 16 speed drive train and STI shifters and powerful disc brakes for safe stopping in all conditions. Available in Small (riders 5’4-5’8″), Medium (riders 5’7″-5’11”) and Large (riders 5’11-6’4″).
The 700c Giordano Trieste Gravel Road Bike is ideal for riders looking for a high quality, smartly equipped adventure bike made for miles of gravel road enjoyment. Built around a light weight chromoly steel frame / fork and combined with 30mm wide tires between you and the less traveled road, you’ll be amazed with the ultra-smooth ride quality.
|Frame Material||Chromoly Steel|
|Wheel Size||29 Inches|
|Number of Speeds||16|
- Chromoly Steel Frame
- Chromoly Steel Fork
- Shimano Claris STI Shifters
- 32 Hole Double Wall Alloy Rim, 700c x 30mm Tires
- Mechanical Disc Brakes; Cassette: Shimano 8 speed 11-32T
Schwinn Sporterra Adventure Adult Gravel Bike
Enjoy next level riding with the Sporterra Adventure Gravel Bike by Schwinn. The Sporterra features a Schwinn aluminum gravel/adventure frame with rigid fork that’s perfect for fast riding on varied terrain. The 14-speed Shimano shifter / brake lever combo and Shimano rear derailleur combine to provide quick gear changes, while Schwinn alloy double cranks offer optimal gearing.
You can ride with confidence thanks to the superior stopping power of the alloy mechanical disc brakes and go-anywhere traction of the multi-terrain tires. Plus, the quick release seat post makes for easy saddle height adjustments.
Like all Schwinn bikes, the Sporterra comes with a limited lifetime warranty for as long as you own the bike.
|Wheel Size||28 Inches|
|Number of Speeds||14|
- Schwinn aluminum gravel/adventure frame with rigid fork is great for fast riding on varied terrain. 700c wheels fit riders 5’4” to 6’2” in height.
- 14 speeds with Shimano shifter / brake lever combo and Shimano rear derailleur provide quick gear changes.
- Alloy mechanical disc brakes deliver superior stopping power.
- Schwinn 700 x 38c Multi -Terrain tires provide go-anywhere traction.
- Quick release seat post makes for easy saddle height adjustment.
- Bike Type: Cross Country Bike
Tommaso Siena Shimano Tourney Gravel Adventure Bike with Disc Brakes
There is nothing better than the feeling of the perfect bike. This feeling inspires confidence and pride, and we believe it is essential to reach your full potential as a rider. Tommaso is about these feelings, they are what drive passion and innovation in this industry, and these are the values that make Tommaso the brand they are.
|Number of Speeds||21|
- Aluminum Compact Frame combined with an SST Steel Fork for Maximum Durability, backed up with our industry leading Lifetime Frame & Fork Warranty. Frame is drilled for all varieties of racks and fenders, making the Sentiero Tourney the ultimate commuter and touring bike.
- 3×7 Shimano Tourney Groupset, featuring a 30/39/50T Claris crankset and 12x28T Tourney cassette. Perfect for varying terrain, from flats to hills, offering a wide range of gears for all levels of riders in all conditions
- Wider 700x40c tires for added versatility and stability on rougher terrain. Tommaso TC-20D rims offer the rugged durability of a 28 spoke rim that can handle all types of terrain and keep rolling. The Siena is also equipped with Avid BB5 disc brakes for added stopping power in adverse weather conditions, making this bike perfect for all weather and terrain conditions.
- Compact frame geometry and premium compact handlebars offer increased power and comfort in a sleek package. Every part of the Siena is designed for maximum comfort and efficiency, so you are getting the most out of every ride, whether it is 10 miles or 100 miles.
ICAN Carbon X-Gravel Disc Flat Mount Road Bike
|Frame Material||Carbon Fiber|
- This frameset is constructed from Toray T700 carbon fiber
- AERO 35C Disc Wheelset Handbuilt with Straight Pull Novatec 411/412 Hub and Sapim CX-Ray spokes
- Drivertrain FORCE 22 Groupset
- Blue Frameset Painting with Rainbow Logo
We hope we have helped you find some of the best gravel bikes under $1000. If you enjoyed this article, read on below.